Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here are the most commonly asked questions we receive about living in our community.

If you require more information, please contact us.

Contact Us

I need to pay my rent. How do I do that?

How is my rent calculated?

If you live in an affordable housing community or a market rent unit, the rent is established upon completion of construction and may increase each year by the allowable Ministry guidelines.

If you live in a rent-geared-to-income (RGI) unit, the amount of rent you pay is based on the household gross income. All rent calculations are based on the Housing Services Act or any applicable laws and regulations. Peterborough Housing will request information to verify your income to set your rent. Residents must provide Peterborough Housing with information such as:

  • documentation of how much money the household receives 
  • details of any assets the resident owns
  • a copy of Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment or Income Tax Return

How do I Pay Rent?

We accept the following payment options:

Payment-Options-Online banking (including telephone app) Debit Telephone banking In bank branch ATM Banking Machine Pre-Authorized Payment (Telephone the office to arrange) Cheque or Money Order (Place in the drop box at 526 McDonnel Street) OW/ODSP recipients

Please have your eight-digit tenant code available when paying your rent. Contact the office at 705-742-0439 if you require any assistance.

Who do I call when something needs repairs in my unit?

What if something breaks or stops working in my unit during the day?

Requests for repairs should be directed to the Building Services Department. Requests should be made by phone at 705-742-3937 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.

What if something breaks or stops working after 4:30?

If you have a maintenance problem after-hours or during a statutory holiday, please call 705-742-7911 or 705-742-0439 and press 1. An automatic answering service will respond to your call. Only call the after-hours service if your maintenance issue is an emergency. Emergencies include:

  • Floods caused by plumbing
  • Damage caused by wind, storm, or fire
  • IMPORTANT: In case of fire, call 9-1-1 first.
  • Electrical failures or short circuits which endanger the safety and wellbeing of tenants
  • Sewer backups
  • Furnace problems resulting in no heat

What happens if I’m locked out of my unit?

When keys are misplaced, the Tenant can obtain a key from the Peterborough Housing Corporation office during regular office hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm).  After-hours service is not provided, and the Tenant is responsible for any costs to gain entry into their unit.

How do I get my locks changed?

Contact the Peterborough Housing Corporation to have your lock changed. All locks have to be provided by PHC. When you request a lock change, there could be a service charge.

Things you need to know about living in a PHC Community.

How should I deal with a complaint against a neighbour?

We recommend the following if/when you have a complaint:

Minor Concerns – Talk to your neighbour in a calm and respectful way. Ask yourself if you are part of the problem and how you can be part of the solution. If you need some help with how to speak with your neighbour, call your Resident Services Manager or the Housing Support Worker.

Major Concerns – If you have concerns about harassment or threatening behaviour, please contact the Police and send your concerns in writing to your Resident Services Manager.

Who should I contact if someone is parking in my spot?

Maxama Protection
Parking Control Contractor
Tel. 705-745-7500
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Can I have a pet?

Your pet is more than welcome at your home as long as it does not cause any
problems for the landlord or your neighbours

Every resident who is a pet owner has the responsibility to ensure the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the premises by all residents, visitors, and staff. If you have a pet, please ensure it has current tags and up-to-date vaccinations.

Can someone move in with me?

If you are an RGI tenant who wants to add a new member to your household, complete and return a Joint Tenancy Application. The application will be reviewed to make sure that any new member meets the criteria for RGI assistance, occupancy standards, and PHC policies.

How long can I be away from my unit?

Under RGI regulations, you cannot be away from your unit for more than 60 days annually. It is important to comply with this requirement as it may result in the Household no longer being eligible for a rent subsidy.

How long can my guests stay?

Guests cannot stay longer than (14) days without prior written consent of the Landlord. If a guest stays longer than (14) days, without permission of PHC, they may be considered an illegal occupant and the Tenant may no longer qualify for rent-geared-to-income or occupancy of the unit. Guests may be asked to provide proof that they have a permanent alternate address.

I want to move. What do I need to know?

How do I move to another unit or community?

After a minimum of one-year tenancy, you may apply for a transfer to another unit. To be eligible for a transfer, your household must be in good standing. Please note, only tenants who are part of the Rent-Geared-to-Income program are eligible for internal transfers.

How much notice do I give before I move out?

When moving out you are required to give written notice of at least 60 days prior to your move-out date. The notice will be effective on the last day of the month. For example, if you want to move out September 30th, you must give your written notice on or before August 1st.

Complete a Notice to Terminate the Tenancy form from the Landlord and Tenant website at