Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

Peterborough Housing Corporation (PHC) is dedicated to fostering a safe and welcoming living environment for all tenants, employees, and visitors.

This page provides information about PHC’s Tenant Rights and Responsibilities commitment. For specific information about your tenancy, visit out Tenant Information.

I need to pay my rent. How do I do that?

To ensure all PHC residents can make informed decisions about their tenancy, PHC is committed to the following:

  1. Ensuring Accessible Information

PHC will provide residents with information about their rights and responsibilities as tenants, in accessible formats, through our Tenant Information page.

  1. Timely Updates

PHC will ensure all information regarding tenant rights and responsibilities are kept up-to-date and reflect any changes in policies, regulations, or guidelines.

  1. Transparency

PHC will provide clear and straightforward information to tenants regarding their rights and responsibilities.

What is the difference between a right and a responsibility?

                As a tenant, a right is a freedom that is protected by law and/or your lease agreement.

As a tenant, a responsibility is an action or duty that you are obligated to do under the law and/or your lease agreement.

Rights and responsibilities often go hand-in-hand. The following is an example of tenant rights and responsibilities are connected:

All tenants have a right to privacy and reasonable enjoyment of the property. However, each tenant also has a responsibility to respect the rights of other tenants, and ensure their behaviour does not infringe on their neighbour’s right to privacy and reasonable enjoyment of the property.

If a neighbour is causing excessive noise that disturbs your reasonable enjoyment of the property, that would infringe on your right as a tenant.

Your neighbour has a responsibility to respect your rights as a tenant. By making excessive noise and disturbing you, they are not following their responsibility as a tenant.

Visit our Tenant Information page to learn more about how PHC would resolve neighbour disputes like the one described above. (Hyperlink to understanding your tenancy>neighbour disputes)


What are my rights and responsibilities as a resident with PHC?

PHC tenants have a right to the following:

  1. Right to a safe and secure living environment
  2. Right to privacy and reasonable enjoyment of the property
  3. Right to request repairs and have maintenance concerns resolved in a timely manner
  4. Right to know the terms of the lease or rental agreement
  5. Right to non-discrimination and fair treatment

PHC tenants have a responsibility for the following:

  1. Responsibility to pay rent on time
  2. Responsibility to adhere to the terms of the lease or rental agreement
  3. Responsibility to report maintenance issues promptly
  4. Responsibility to comply with all applicable municipal regulations
  5. Responsibility to adhere to the Residential Tenancies Act

Tenant Relations Committee

                November 1, 2023

In October 2023, PHC committed to establishing a Tenant Relations Committee that will serve as a collaborative partnership between residents and PHC staff. The Tenant Relations Committee will provide residents will an opportunity to provide feedback and discuss areas for improvement.

We are working on establishing the Tenant Relations Committee and intend to conduct regular meetings starting in 2024.

PHC is excited to share more information about the Tenant Relations Committee in the near future.

Who do I call when something needs repairs in my unit?

What if something breaks or stops working in my unit during the day?

Requests for repairs should be directed to the Building Services Department. Requests should be made by phone at 705-742-3937 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.

What if something breaks or stops working after 4:30?

If you have a maintenance problem after-hours or during a statutory holiday, please call 705-742-7911 or 705-742-0439 and press 1. An automatic answering service will respond to your call. Only call the after-hours service if your maintenance issue is an emergency. Emergencies include:

  • Floods caused by plumbing
  • Damage caused by wind, storm, or fire
  • IMPORTANT: In case of fire, call 9-1-1 first.
  • Electrical failures or short circuits which endanger the safety and wellbeing of tenants
  • Sewer backups
  • Furnace problems resulting in no heat

What happens if I’m locked out of my unit?

When keys are misplaced, the Tenant can obtain a key from the Peterborough Housing Corporation office during regular office hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm).  After-hours service is not provided, and the Tenant is responsible for any costs to gain entry into their unit.

How do I get my locks changed?

Contact the Peterborough Housing Corporation to have your lock changed. All locks have to be provided by PHC. When you request a lock change, there could be a service charge.

Things you need to know about living in a PHC Community.

How should I deal with a complaint against a neighbour?

We recommend the following if/when you have a complaint:

Minor Concerns – Talk to your neighbour in a calm and respectful way. Ask yourself if you are part of the problem and how you can be part of the solution. If you need some help with how to speak with your neighbour, call your Resident Services Manager or the Housing Support Worker.

Major Concerns – If you have concerns about harassment or threatening behaviour, please contact the Police and send your concerns in writing to your Resident Services Manager.

Who should I contact if someone is parking in my spot?

Maxama Protection
Parking Control Contractor
Tel. 705-745-7500
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Can I have a pet?

Your pet is more than welcome at your home as long as it does not cause any
problems for the landlord or your neighbours

Every resident who is a pet owner has the responsibility to ensure the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the premises by all residents, visitors, and staff. If you have a pet, please ensure it has current tags and up-to-date vaccinations.

Can someone move in with me?

If you are an RGI tenant who wants to add a new member to your household, complete and return a Joint Tenancy Application. The application will be reviewed to make sure that any new member meets the criteria for RGI assistance, occupancy standards, and PHC policies.

How long can I be away from my unit?

Under RGI regulations, you cannot be away from your unit for more than 60 days annually. It is important to comply with this requirement as it may result in the Household no longer being eligible for a rent subsidy.

How long can my guests stay?

Guests cannot stay longer than (14) days without prior written consent of the Landlord. If a guest stays longer than (14) days, without permission of PHC, they may be considered an illegal occupant and the Tenant may no longer qualify for rent-geared-to-income or occupancy of the unit. Guests may be asked to provide proof that they have a permanent alternate address.

I want to move. What do I need to know?

How do I move to another unit or community?

After a minimum of one-year tenancy, you may apply for a transfer to another unit. To be eligible for a transfer, your household must be in good standing. Please note, only tenants who are part of the Rent-Geared-to-Income program are eligible for internal transfers.

How much notice do I give before I move out?

When moving out you are required to give written notice of at least 60 days prior to your move-out date. The notice will be effective on the last day of the month. For example, if you want to move out September 30th, you must give your written notice on or before August 1st.

Complete a Notice to Terminate the Tenancy form from the Landlord and Tenant website at www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb.